Saturday, July 16

Dating My Vibrator (and other true fiction) by Suzanne Tyrpak


http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4160544.Suzanne_Tyrpak

It was evening. I’d just worked all day, then gone to the dentist’s office for a filling. I was sweaty, gross, sore, tired, and my mouth hurt like a bitch now that the Novocain had worn off. I was in a sour mood. I needed something light and fluffy, but short and not real deep to help me out of my bad-mood depression. Preferably before I ate the entire carton of Chocolate Indulgence ice cream. I was perusing my twitter home page, annoyed and vibrating with tension when Beverly Kendall, a historical author and blogger I follow, mentioned this book – Dating My Vibrator. Should I buy it? She wondered. There was no wondering in it for me. The title alone had me.

This book was exactly what I’d hoped it would be. Fun, fast, and entertaining. It had me laughing. Crying. Relating. Yes, anyone who has ever dated will relate to these stories. Those who haven’t dated can only cross themselves and be glad. The stories were humorous and heartwarming, and I loved them. They weren’t great. They weren't the work of a writer extraordinaire. But they were very real, authentic stories of the trials of love, dating, and marriage. I think, for that reason alone, this is a book to pick up. So often we get lost in the hype of fantasy romances where every hero is sexy and every relationship works out beautifully and everyone, despite their heartaches, gets a HEA. This book was a reminder (a funny one) that real life relationships aren’t like that and that at least half the men out there are total losers. And the good ones never seem to come your way.

What did I think?  Tyrpak’s writing isn’t anything real special. But it was cute, fun, and definitely something to pass the time. The stories were a little too short for my tastes, and I would’ve like a little more embellishment or drama – but I respect that Ms. Tyrpak is sticking to the truth and the facts of her life experiences. This book helped me out when I was in pain and made me laugh, and I only ended up eating half that carton of ice cream. Ms. Tyrpak, my body thanks you for your humor and wit in my time of need. Pick up this book, everyone. It’s funny. Seriously.

Favorite quote (first two lines of the book):

 "You're gonna freeze your hooters off." (Barry)
"Don't worry about my hooters." (Suzanne)

“Sexy”ness rating: N/A: No kissing/sex here! Smutty title – not smutty book.

Overall Rating: C+

Bottom Line: A series of short stories for when you want something funny but not complex or long. I’d suggest you get to an unobtrusive location before beginning, because a few of the stories will have you laughing – and possibly sniffling – aloud.

Pages: around 50
Published: July 31, 2010
Genre: Romantic Comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Leave me a message of any kind - I love to hear from followers! Write, write write!